Saturday, July 14, 2007

Exercise & Diet

One of the perks I guess of having sickle cell is that it keeps me in my ideal weight zone. My BMI never goes above 20, mainly because when I do start gaining weight...one crises has the power of taking off 10 pounds in a week. Right now I'm a luscious 135...my ideal weight for my height but I know that in the next few months I'll be down to 125 and trying to eat my weight up.

So I guess you could say it's our own little weight loss plan...hahaha. I do exercise though, because I love exercising, it gives me endorphins...and endorphins supposedly make you happy. Don't I sound like a ray of frickin' sunshine? Plus I'm trying to build up the muscle tone in my arms, so that I start having nice veins once again. It takes 12-18 months for the body to create new venous pathways, so I really have to tone up those arms hardcore.

I read somewhere that yoga is really good for people with sickle cell. This is I guess because all that stretching helps move those clumpy cells all around the body and away from the problem areas. I think I might take it up soon, and consult my own little investigation.


13 comments:

Real Life Drama Queen said...

I used to do Pilates. I loved it. It really works. I didn't like yoga by itself and Pilates is an extension there of.

RandomlySane said...

i wish i was 135...

Poetic Justice said...

Interesting blog you have going here...will stop in more often. Hopefully in you speak the TRUTH unlike some nigerians who aim to make thier lives more glamorous than it really is. I wish I were 135 add about 100 to that and you get me.

Vixen said...

RLDQ, Hmmm, I might look into Pilates too.

RS, whatever. You're taller than me, so whatever you are still makes you look skinny!

Lost Soul, it's about keeping it real. I don't understand the whole Naija glamorization thing...but that's not me. Welcome.

Adventures In Waitressing said...

I will defend my sister LOL.. she is most definatly real and only keeps it real.

Waving hello!! I miss ya lady!

KM said...

Oh, let me know if yoga helps at all. I've heard it's good for achy joints and muscles -- and like you say that makes sense... So far weights has been good enough for me...

Anonymous said...

I have Sickle Cell Anemia and I am NO WHERE near 135 and I'm 5'6...I'm naturally a thick sized girl...not all of us are with a small frame, Sis in SC...I've had doctors accuse me of not having SCA...until they see my other symptoms more pronounced...yoga and pilates is cool, but I have leg problems, so that's a no go...but an altered swedish massage and aromatherapy does wonders...just had one last week.

Vixen said...

Guess the weight thing is a shattered myth then. I never have met anyone with SCD that was not thin, so it's nice to know that not all of us end up looking like starving chicas.

Plastic Surgeons Atlanta said...

Exercise is another useful tool in controlling diseases and looking after the body and health.It should become a lifestyle habit in fact for better living.

Anonymous said...

that makes us 2 of us!
I have it and Im chubby!!! cnt loose weight... excercices activate the episodes... but i heard Yoga is good>> i will try!

Anonymous said...

I guess there are more of us than I thought. People have accused me of lying as well, since my BMI is above 35. I'm trying to find a way to exercise that wont induce another episode...

LIB TWIN MOM said...

Such a relief to find this blog of others living with SCD. My BMI is 30 and I really want to lose 80 pounds, but it's a struggle. I have 4 year old twins, work full time and frequent exercise causes crises. It's also hard to stick to a restricted diet when I crave my ethnic African food.

I definitely need to come up with a plan to conquer this because I know my approaching 40th birthday is not one to take for granted.

Anonymous said...

Well, being skinny with SCA is just a stereotype. I'm 5'4" and a little over 170lbs and really need to lose weight myself because I don't want to fight diabetes and heart disease on top of SCA. I'm really trying to loose the weight with hard exercise and though it does induce minor episodes, I'm fighting through it with ibuprofen, massages and heating healthy. I'm also exploring veganism and may do a vegan cleanse to usher the burning of fat cells. I'm just so tired of fighting with my body and I just refuse to let my disease continue to be in control anymore.