Thursday, February 7, 2008

Vacation Plans

Okay, it's decided, we are going to MAUI!!!

WOOHOO!

I've never been to Hawaii so this is going to be a great one for me. The trip is planned for right after my current work contract, I can't wait!

In other news I'm doing great, not much to report on anything. My health is good, my job is okay, everything is good.

I'm doing research on a good diet for people with sickle cell. I do want to publish that once it's complete so if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Hugs,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I hope you guys have a wonderful time!

Here's a link I stumbled over a few weeks ago. The second page includes staples that folks w/SC should keep in their diet. I just started a new job and haven't had the cash to implement a lot of it yet, but Hubby and I are anxious to give it a shot when the finances settle. All the best!

http://www.recipenet.org/health/articles/sickle_cell.htm

Anonymous said...

I have sickle beta thalassemia minor. 15 years ago I decided to stop eating red meat and pork. I substituted a romaine and iceberg-free salad (field greens, spinach, etc. were used instead) for 2 of my dinners each week. It was great because my family participated. We became near vegetarians. As a result, I went from having 4 hospital stays each year to 1 stay every 3 to 4 years. I started swimming at the beach when it was really warm (I lived in FL at the time), I could breath ok even when it was cold (cold air made me very congested) and I just generally felt good. This lasted through my 30's. Now I am 43 and am getting sicker more often, but I have also been slacking on my strict diet. At any rate, my assumption is that just eating a healthy diet and staying away from a lot of meat can make a world of difference.