Sunday, January 13, 2008

Crises #1 of 2008: Triggers

Okay, so I'm trying to think about everything that contributed to this last crises, so that I can do better with the 'taking care of myself' part and prevent another one from happening.
  1. Working Overtime: Overtime pay rocks, but the OT on my body was a bad call. I thought that I was fine, actually didn't do any OT the week of Xmas & New Year, but perhaps working 64 hours the week before wasn't a good idea.
  2. Travelling: Although I wasn't driving, I did take a 9 hour trip up to Oregon. We broke it halfway just for my benefit, but from now on trips longer than 4 hours should be flown.
  3. The Cold: I had caught a really bad cold the week before I fell sick. It was a head cold, complete with the coughing, achy head and runny nose. I amped up on Vit C. and cold meds, but it just kept getting worse everyday. I even had it when I took the drive up to Oregon.
  4. Cold Ass Oregon: I'm trying not to bitch about the weather here. It's hard but I'm trying. It's not as cold as Baltimore was and I lived there for over 3 years. It's just that I'm not used to it yet and coming with a cold wasn't a good mix.
  5. Exhaustion: My body was tired and just gave out of me. The pains came as a way of telling me to stop and chill out. I already had a job lined up for a couple of days after I moved up here, I should have taken some days off after the hard work I put in the month before. So my body was telling me to chill.
  6. Dehydration: I'm always dehydrated when I'm not working. You would think that I would drink more at home than at work, but just having a few days off from work throws my hydration schedule off. I tend to take water with me to work and drink a whole gallon over an 8 hour shift, but when I'm at home, I just drink only one liter. I should get a better habit of drinking regardless of whether I work or not.

That's all I can think of right now. That's a synopsis of what I think triggered this last crises.

No comments: